Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Applying to Methodist College of Nursing

Life went on and I had totally convinced myself that nursing was not for me. To make a long story short I enrolled in a program to finish my Bachelors degree in Business and begin thinking again about medicine. I investigated medical school or podiatry school. Both of these routes took too long and in the end I knew that I did not have the scholastic stamina to stick it out. At the same time I continued to look into nursing. I discovered that in reality CRNAs can make an incredible living. Not only that but many nurses in other fields make 70-80k a year and nurse practitioners can make over 100k. A brand new grad RN can make at least $21/hour in most states and up to $27/hour or more in some areas.

So I quickly found that salary was not an issue if I chose to go into nursing. I also found programs that allowed individuals that already have a bachelors degree to enter into Accelerated Bachelors of Nursing programs that allow people to graduate with a BSN in about a year or year and a half. This started to sound very good to me. These programs are a very fast pace and require a lot of work.

I had completed my Associated Degree in health science years back and therefore had taken several of the science courses needed to apply to an ABSN program. The trick now was just to find a program that would accept me and that I could qualify to enter. After some research I found on in Illinois called MCON (Methodist College of Nursing), located in Peoria, IL.

I applied and was accepted.

At the same time that I was accepted I was also offered a job with a regional sporting goods company as a retail Buyer. The salary wasn’t great, but it was a job and I took it and therefore did not attend the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment