Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Moving to Peoria

Following the wise advice of the same friend in medical school I called MCON and asked that my acceptance to the school be deferred until the following semester. They were willing to allow for me to be the first application in the stack for the next semester but would not defer.

Within a week of starting my new desk job I was about ready to blow my brains out. It was not for me and I knew that I could not continue in this job. After some deliberation I decided to call MCON and check on my application status. Thankfully I was again accepted to attend the ABSN program starting in January 2011.

Preparation:

In order to attend the school I needed to finish Microbiology. Thankfully I was able to find an online Micro class from the University of New England Osteopathic school. This class was perfect and it even had an online lab, I was able to complete the class in about 8 weeks, it was stressful took some serious scheduling.

The bad news was we had just bought a home that needed some fixing up and we had just found out that my wife was pregnant. All this on top of a full time job and the Micro class proved to be quit the load and times were a bit stressful.

A couple weeks after finding out that I was accepted many letters began to come from MCON with instructions on all the tasks that had to be completed before I could begin school. These things included a physical, financial aid, registration, background check and student insurance to name a few.

The staff at the Methodist College of Nursing is very helpful and I was able to work through the majority of my questions and concerns via email. From the very beginning I was highly impressed with their professionalism and ability to field my concerns in a very timely manner. In all honesty I am surprised that they do not seem to be a bit more competitive and more highly marketed. Many schools will give students the brush off, I contacted many schools in an effort to see where I might be able to apply and by far MCON was the most helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment